Any eighth grader (who will be a Freshman in the upcoming school year) currently attending a Marion County public school may apply. The student must have at least a 2.0 GPA, be committed to completing the course, and have completed and turned in an official application form prior to the deadline.
How Do I Apply?
Applications may be obtained from the school counselors (Flippin, Bruno-Pyatt, or Yellville Schools) or the Marion County Cooperative Extension Service (870-449-6349). Interested students may also submit their applications online. Applications must be received by our office no later than June 15.
What is the Cost?
The registration fee is $20.00 per student. (Scholarships are available as needed.)
Selection of Participants
Completed applications will be reviewed by representatives of the South Shore - Marion County Youth Leadership Advisory Board. No more than 21 students will be selected to participate.
Those who are selected will be asked to sign two forms. One is a parent/guardian release form. The other includes a statement of commitment and information regarding tuition and t-shirts. Both require signatures from the student's parent or guardian and can be downloaded for printing from the following links.
What is Expected of Participants?
All students are expected to attend all scheduled classes of the program. Arriving late or leaving early will be considered an absence. More than one absence for any reason shall be considered cause to be dropped from the program.
The dress, grooming, and manners of individual members reflect the general climate of any organization; therefore, participants of the South Shore - Marion County Youth Leadership program are expected to wear appropriate clothing and to present a neat appearance when participating in the program. Moderation in type and style of clothing should be the basic standard.
The following clothing items are not permitted at Youth Leadership activities:
- Pants, shorts, skirts, and dresses which are not longer than the fingertips of hands held at sides (arms' length) - the tip of the waistband must be no lower than the top of the hipbone.
- Clothing with slits and/or cutout areas which are above the fingertips of hands held at the sides.
- Any backless dress, top, or cutoff shirts that expose any part of the midriff or back.
- Clothing with revealing necklines and sleeve openings.
- Mesh type or see-through shirts.
- Visible undergarments.
- Clothing with inappropriate or unsuitable graphics or slogans (vulgarities or obscenities and/or drug, tobacco or alcohol advertisements).
- Any clothing item that a South Shore - Marion County Youth Advisory Committee member deems inappropriate.
So What Happens After Course Completion?
A graduation reception will be held to celebrate the participants' success and will include parents and other family members. Graduates of the program will serve to continue the process of leadership development among their peers and to implement the principles they learned in their schools and in their communities.